Castello di Bolgheri
About Castello di Bolgheri
The origins of Bolgheri Castle date back to 1500. Since then, it has been the property of the Counts of Gherardesca family. In the second half of the 1700s, restoration work and improvements were made to the building, and the cellars were built. In 1895, the castle’s facade was modified, with the construction of the tower and merlons as we still see them today.
Bolgheri Castle and its surrounding lands were transferred by hereditary succession to the current family of the Counts Zileri Dal Verme.
The farm extends around the Castle for an area of 130 hectares, 50 of which are covered by vineyards; the rest is made up of areas cultivated with 6,000 olive plants, sown grounds and woods. Both sides of the farm are adjacent to the famous cypress road extolled in the poetry of Giosuè Carducci.
Since 1997, the vineyards have been planted with the main variety in the product specification DOC Bolgheri (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Syrah and Petit Verdot). The vineyards of Castello di Bolgheri are located in the neighborhood of the village, with south-west exposure and the rows perpendicular to the sea enjoying the afternoon ventilation during hot days the holds.
The main variety in both wines cuts is Cabernet Sauvignon which helps to give an expression in which the dense spice and fruit blend. In the mouth it is compact with a progression and a good persistence in the blend from 50% to 60%. Merlot addictive fruit, a wine developed in volume and wide, round, silky tannins, sweet blend in approximately 25% to 30%. Cabernet Franc, dark and deep in the nose and in the mouth as well, a fat wine, matierico in the blend by a note of elegance and finesse about 15% to 25%. The agronomist and oenologist are Clemente and Federico Zileri Dal Verme.